Show Fido how to love his crate:
- Purchase a metal crate and put it near your bed or in the bedroom.
Dogs are very social creatures and love to sleep near someone.
- Leave the door to your dog’s crate open. Let him investigate
whenever he would like. Do not force your dog into the crate.
- After a few hours of the crate being in the home, tell your
dog to “kennel up” and toss a tasty treat in to the
crate. Say “Good dog.”
- Once your dog is going into the crate each time stop throwing
the treat. Instead, say "Kennel up" and then gesture
as if you were tossing a treat. Say “Good dog ” and
treat once your dog is in the crate.
- Practice short trial periods (5 minutes) with your dog in the
crate before trying long durations.
- Give your dog something yummy to chew (stuffed Kong) in the
- Never open the crate when your dog is barking, crying or scratching.
Wait for that behavior to stop even for a moment, then you can
release your dog.
- Never leave your dog in the crate for more than 8 hours.